From today, the Council has set up a scheme to help with food costs for families who are facing additional financial challenges due to the COVID -19 virus.
To qualify your family must be Manchester residents or supported by the Homelessness Service. The criteria is:
- Children and young people who meet the criteria for free school meals
- Children and young people who are classed as an asylum seeker
- Children and young people whose family has been hardest hit by the recent issues and may be waiting for benefits to be assessed or have a gap in their income due to being laid off etc.
The contribution towards a lunchtime meal is £2.00 per day (£10 per week) for each school child or young person in the household.
Manchester City Council will be able to pay this money within a few days by the following methods:
- A bank transfer into a nominated bank account
- A secure text message that can be used to access cash from a range of Paypoint outlets in the city
- A voucher that can be printed and can then be exchanged for cash from a range of Paypoint outlets in the city.
To make an application please submit a request via the Council’s Welfare Provision Scheme by clicking the following link: Apply For Free School Meals
Free School Meals Council Letter(PDF)