The Faculty of Technology (including ICT and Art)
We aim to develop a faculty where every pupil is valued and can achieve their full potential in a safe & enjoyable learning environment, enabling them to make a positive contribution to the faculty and to the school as a whole. We aim to make using technology fun, exciting and relevant and equip students with skills for life.
- Design and Technology
- Cooking and Nutrition
- KS3 Design Technology – 3 lessons per cycle
- KS3 Art – 2 lessons per cycle
- KS3 Cooking and Nutrition – 2 lessons per cycle
- KS4 – 7 lessons per cycle, plus additional revision sessions
Options offered at KS4:
- GCSE Design Technology (AQA)
- BTEC First in Construction and the Built Environment (Pearson)
- BTEC Tech Award in Engineering (Pearson)
- Level 1 Certificate in Food and Cookery (NCFE)
- GCSE Art and Design (AQA)
- Creative iMedia Level 1/2 (OCR)
Design and Technology
- Year 7 – Resistant Materials: Glider Project, Graphics: Pop-up card, Product Design: CAD/CAM Ruler
- Year 8 – Resistant Materials: Table Cricket Bat, Graphics: Room Design, Product Design: CAD/CAM Bedroom Door Sign
- Year 9 – Resistant Materials: Jewellery Box, Graphics: CAD/CAM Jewellery Packaging, Product Design: Pewter Jewellery
- GCSE Design Technology – Research and Design Movements: Memphis Clock, Sketching and CAD Modelling: Game Controller, 3D Printing and Electronics: Mini Drone, Sustainability: Street Football. Year 11 – Design and Make Portfolio NEA 50%, Exam 50%.
- BTEC First in Construction and the Built Environment – Unit 1 Construction Technology, Unit 2 Construction and Design, Unit 3 Scientific and Mathematical Applications for Construction, Unit 5 Construction Drawing Techniques. Year 11 – Unit 6 Exploring Carpentry and Joinery Principles and Techniques, Unit 8 Exploring Painting and Decorating Principles and Techniques, Unit 11 Sustainability in Construction, Unit 14 Exploring Wall and Floor Tiling Principles and Techniques.
- BTEC Tech Award in Engineering – Unit 1 Exploring Engineering Sectors and Design Applications Internal, Unit 2 Investigating an Engineering Project (Internal). Year 11 – Unit 3 Responding to an Engineering Brief Synoptic External
Cooking and Nutrition
- Year 7 – Food Hygiene, Safety in the Kitchen, Kitchen Equipment and uses, Basic cooking skills: peeling, chopping, boiling, simmering, baking.
- Year 8 – Healthy eating: Eat well Guide, Understanding food groups, sources and nutrition they supply, How to create healthy balanced meals.
- Year 9 – Nutrition through life: Understanding the changes in nutritional requirements at main life stages, Italian Project: Focusing on creating dishes that meet the nutritional needs of a teenager, Savoury Baking project: Focusing on the importance of Carbohydrates in our diet, Factors affecting food choices: Adapting recipes to fit a particular diet.
- KS4 – NCFE VCERT Level 1 Certificate in Food and Cookery –
- Year 10 – Unit 1 Preparing to cook, Food Safety, personal safety, risk assessments, a range of practical work to show understanding of food hygiene, planning and key cooking skills. Unit 2: Understanding Food, Understanding the main food groups, nutrition, understanding where our food comes from, range of practical work demonstrating all of this knowledge.
- Year 11 – Unit 3: External exam on Exploring balanced diets, Unit 4: Plan and produce recipes in response to a brief. Students will research, plan a menu and make two dishes based on a dish they have been given
- Year 7 – Mark making and Portraiture, Painting and Pop Art, Illustration and Ceramics Project.
- Year 8 – Printmaking, natural forms and fossils, Michael Craig Martin inspired Ceramics, Object, viewpoints, reflections.
- Year 9 – Mexican Day of the Dead, Superhero design, Mixed Media Project.
- GCSE Art and Design – Year 10 – Workshop based activities as part of the GCSE Art and Design Unit 1, Ceramics project research and experimentations.
- Year 11 – Ceramics Project final designs and final pieces, Unit 2 Exam
ICT – Creative iMedia Level 1/2
- Year 10 – Pre-production skills, Creating digital graphics,Creating a multipage website, Creating a digital animation.
- Year 11 – Understanding Computer Systems, Using ICT to create business solutions, Creating an interactive product, Creating dynamic products using sound.
Technology & Engineering Curriculum Plans 2018/19
Faculty of Technology (including ICT and Art)
- Mr S. Bentley – Head of Technology
- Mr P. Iqbal – Head of Behaviour / Design & Technology Teacher
- Mr D. Coyne – Design & Technology Teacher
- Ms A. Hughes – Design & Technology Teacher
- Mr J. Hyde – Design & Technology Teacher
- Ms Y. Ahmed – ICT Teacher
- Ms C. Doyle – Food Technology Teacher
- Mr L. Crowther – Food Technology Teacher
- Miss J Spencely – Head of Art
- Mr B Sumner – Art Teacher